The Pro-Life Story
Pro-Life Fitness Centre first opened its doors in June 1990 in a small industrial unit of 3000 sq ft situated at number 13 New Sneddon St in Paisley.
The fitness industry was very much in it’s infancy then with no stand alone gyms or sports clubs in the Paisley area so this was seen as a bit of a gamble at that time.
Alex Whelan, 7 times Scottish Body Building Champion, and his very good family friend and well know publican Brian Corkindale formed a partnership to create a state of the art fitness centre which Scotland, let alone Paisley, had ever seen. Importing Cybex fitness equipment and Startrac cardio machines as well as over £10k of fitness testing equipment, the dream teams vision quickly became a reality.
Such was the demand at Espedair St that, in Feb of 1993, Pro-Life embarked on a new chapter moving to a purpose built unit of 12,000 sq ft and grew from 500 to 1200 members on its opening day! Due to Brian expanding his license trade and Alex looking to grow the fitness business their partnership amicably ended and Alex became the sole owner of the club in the same year.
Over the years many further expansions and improvements have taken place to develop the club we have now…an amazing 30,000 sq ft health & fitness centre with a separate stand alone five a side football complex incorporating 5 parks, function room, sports bar & cafe.
One of our many popular marketing campaigns over the years held the caption “Come To Life”.
We would like to thank all of the past, previous and future members who have helped to create a truly independant company for trailblazing fitness within the heart of Renfrewshire.